Slow SQL Server 2000 insert performance vs. ODBC | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Slow SQL Server 2000 insert performance vs. ODBC

Hi, Has anybody compared the performance of ODBC/C against ODBC and OLE DB? I was trying to find some resources on this and was wondering if you have any information on the same. BTW, I came across a thread in a microsoft forum related to this query. http://www.dotnet247.com/247reference/msgs/18/93703.aspx But I would like to see some benchmark stuff on this. Thanks for the help in advance. Gaurav
Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard

i assume you mean odbc/c versus c# & sqlclient or oledb
i have done fairly extensive work on this and have much better results than quoted in the link you provided
i can do over 4,000 sp/sec for a select query and 2,300 single row inserts/sec
i think his insert performance is bottlenecked on his log disk configuration. I can drive over 18,000 single row inserts/sec with a single log disk, and there is no indication the log disk is maxed out in theory, c should be more efficient than c#, but I am finding that the bulk of the cpu cycles are in the dll’s being called, hence c# has no meaningfull penalties.
if you are doing lots of data manipulation involving correct use of pointers, then thats a different story

Thanks for the statistics. Gaurav
Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard

]]>