Small Business Server Hardware Recommendation | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Small Business Server Hardware Recommendation

I have the following hardware: 2 x 666 Mhz CPUs
1 GB RAM
6 Disk: 2x9GB (SO) RAID 0, and 4x18GB 10000RPM RAID 10 (DB) SQL 7.0 SP2, dedicated, stand-alone. Performance currently is good, after tuning. We are wanting to add SBS (Small Business Server) to this same server, and the hardware guys are proposing to upgrade the RAM from 1GB to 2GB. Is this enough. I don’t have any experience with SBS. Posted on behalf of another SQL Server DBA.
I don’t have any firsthand knowledge of SBS, but you might want to check outhttp://www.microsoft.com/sbserver/ for technical suggestions. Generally speaking, I prefer not to run another other software on a single physical server, other than SQL Server. The addition of any other software (and SBS offers lots of software) will always reduce the physical resources available to SQL Server. But if you have know choice, and you can’t get a new server, then adding RAM is generally the best available option. How much to add is hard to say, as I don’t have enough info on the current and future usage to offer much help. —————————–
Brad M. McGehee, MVP
Webmaster
SQL-Server-Performance.Com
I gess the client want to spend few money to be on top software.
What about to install SBS but only W2003 and SQL 2000, and not other features?.
If yes, I suppose SQL 2000 cant set to dedicated too. Luis Martin …Thus mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true.
Bertrand Russell
I would agree with the client to add-up SBS to the current installation provided thorough performance checks are in place and SQL service pack is upgraded to SP4 and latest hotfixes. I agree with your comments with regard to the performance tuning, if nothing can be done only way is to addup resources to keep up the performance, one and only. _________
Satya SKJ

If you install SBS with Windows 2003 and SQL Server 2000 only, that would be a good option. Even then, if they do want to install any other options, the fewer the better, and of course, more RAM will always help. —————————–
Brad M. McGehee, MVP
Webmaster
]]>