SP3a install issues | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

SP3a install issues

Bear with me, this gets confusing.. Config: SQL 2000 enterprise sp2+slammer hotfixes. Win2k sp4+, MDAC 2.8. Error: sp3_serv_uni.sql cannot execute.. Service Pack fails. I’ve not tried enabling Cross DB ownership chaining during setup yet. The sp3_serv_uni.out log last three lines reads: Creating ‘system_function_schema.fn_get_sql’.
Msg 2714, Level 16, State 6, Server EIC-SQLPRD, Procedure fn_get_sql, Line 15
There is already an object named ‘fn_get_sql’ in the database. This UDF doesn’t exist until SP3 is applied! I’ve tried running this service pack in debug mode (which is confusing) and skipping sp3_serv_uni.sql. How can I get debug mode to run that script manually so I can skip the fn_get_sql section? SP3 is now partially applied and now my .Net based app cannot connect however the db "seems" to be functioning OK.. no errors. The database shows that Cross DB ownership chaining is enabled. Could running the service pack without that enabled cause it to fail? We don’t require the chaining, would turning off chaining then applying the service pack be the better idea? Thanks for any ideas. Ron

I don’t think the cross-database ownership chaining has anything to do with your SP3 troubles. However, you should disable it. Try reapplying the MDAC hotfix (Mdac_qfe.exe) and then installing the SQL Server Service pack (I would recommend SP3a which irons out some issues with SP3). Nathan H.O.
SQL-Server-Performance.com
Thanks for the advice. Do you suppose MDAC 2.8 is causing problems since sp3a is trying to apply MDAC 2.7sp1 over the top of it? Also, do you recommend shutting down all DB services or being in single user mode during sp install? Ron
Yes you can switch off the cross-db chain ownership and refer thru SQLSTP.LOG file for more details about the error. No need to touch the DB services or keeping in single-user mode. _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

This is one problematic service pack. My next effor tonight will be running sp3a in debug mode and running the sp3_serv_uni.sql script manually from query analyzer and skipping fn_get_sql section. Wish me luck.. I’ll need it. May be doing a full recovery if this doesn’t work!
I’m sure there is a workaround for the errors while appying SP3/SP3a, refer under Forum announcements for the links and tips. _________
Satya SKJ

[xx(]
I’ve tried everything from this forum, dbforums and listservs and this sp will not apply. I really think it is is due to my application of MDAC 2.8 prior to applying sp3a.. and reverting to a previous level of MDAC is impossible as far as I can tell. I’m so tired of DLL hell.. time to rebuild. Thanks for the advice. Ron
As a last resort may try contacting MS support for support/information. _________
Satya SKJ

What have you found is the best way to get good answers out of microsoft? Specific number to call or just there normal support line? I’m a just a bit jaded and tend to try to solve all my MS issues via great resources like this.. but I’m at a dead end right now.
Normal support line would do the job, if not you can send feedback by using this linkhttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-gb;CNTACTMS and I can understand your frustation. But it may help sometimes with a new fix or resolution which is suitable to the current problem. _________
Satya SKJ

Only 45 minutes with MS support.. most of it on hold. We discovered I guess what could be considered an anomaly with the ability to add tables to the MASTER database. It would not allow creation of any tables due to a "counter" issue. This isn’t common according to the support guy. We ran a VB script that basically forced the database to start accepting table creations. Now it is accepting.. I’ll try the service pack tonight after operations.
Good News/Bad News
I got SP3a to install finally! We have confirmed now however that MDAC 2.8 is causing our .NET application connectivity errors. I know I should have tested that but got too caught up in trying to get all of our servers on the latest security patches. Live by the sword.. and die by it.
A good example to make sure, you test all the latest patches/hotfixes well before applying to the production box. _________
Satya SKJ

]]>