SPID won't die | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

SPID won’t die

Hello,
I have 2 SPID’s that I have tried to kill several times, but they won’t die. They are backups from litespeed that have been running for a few days. I have right clicked and told them to die and I have issued kill XXX in QA. No luck. Any idea’s how I get them outta there? Thanks
J
You’ll need to restart the sql server at this point. When you issue the kill through QA now, it should give you a status about when it expects to complete rollback. If the estimate is 100%, then the restart is required. If it’s not 100%, you should see the estimate change when you issue KILL <spid> WITH STATUSONLY and wait for it to reach 100%.
Next time after Kill, run sp_who to find out if there is any rollback.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
What are those SPID numbers?
Run DBCC INPUTBUFFER for those SPIDs.
Do not attempt to kill straight forwardly, sometimes few DBCC process might be running the attempting to stop the process might harm the database state.
quote:Originally posted by loiter99 Hello,
I have 2 SPID’s that I have tried to kill several times, but they won’t die. They are backups from litespeed that have been running for a few days. I have right clicked and told them to die and I have issued kill XXX in QA. No luck. Any idea’s how I get them outta there? Thanks
J

Satya SKJ
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>