Splitting indexs onto seperate array | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Splitting indexs onto seperate array

Hi Folks Thanks for a great website, exactly what I’ve been looking for. I have a single database running an 85GB mdf file, and 1.5GB ldf. We have a Dell PE2900 with 12GB RAM and dual Xeon 5160 3.0GHz/4MB 1333FSB, running a RAID1 143GB SAS 15K drive partitioned into 12GB C: drive, and 124GB D: drive which I’ve moved the Tempdb to. The server also has a Perc 5i controller card running 8 x 143GB SAS 15K drives in a RAID10 configuration, single 544GB partition. I am running the mdf file from here. We also have a Dell MD1000 running off a Perc 5e controller card, running 8 x 143GB SAS 15K drives, single 544GB partition. Currently this is being used for the 1.5GB ldf file! As the Perc 5e controller card has 2 channels, I know I can split the MD1000 into 2 RAID10 arrays of approx 272GB each. Is it worth doing this and moving the indexes from the mdf into a seperate filgroup and onto this seperate array? It would mean the log files and indexes would be on seperate arrays, seperate channels, but the same controller card. Any thoughts?
depending on exactly what your requirements are, 8 disks is most probably over kill for your logs
either 2 or 4 disks should be sufficient. if 2, then D is a good place as C should be a no load.
if 4, then the 8 internal disks on PERC 5i should be split into 2 – 4 disk arrays
same with 8 external on 5e,
3 arrays for data and temp,
1 for log data and temp should be comprised of 3 files each, sharing the same drives next time, buy more of the low-mid capacity drives
more spindles = better performance
]]>