SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

SQL 2000 and SQL 2005

Hi All,
Is it possible to have both SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 installed on the same machine.
If it is possible how it can be acheived. Regards,
G.Rajamurali.
sql server 2000 and 2005 can co-exists on same machine… recently this topic has been discussed in this forum… Madhu
Hi,
Yes you can install sql 2000 and sql 2005 both on same machine but not recommended.
You can test it on your development/local box only.
Hi,
Thanks for reply….
If it is possible, then SQL 2000 or SQL 2005 only can have the default instance and the other have a named instance.Accessing the named instance form the application would create a problem while establishing the connection. Then how to overcome this. Regards,
G.Rajamurali.
You can have only one default instance. whether its 2000 or 2005 it upto u. In connection string for default instance give only pysicalmachine name. for Named instance give MachineName/Name of the instance. And also start SQL Browser service or mention the port in connection string incase you have 2005 as named instance. if your server is firewall enabled… excempt the ports…
Madhu
Thanks a lot Madhu…. Regards,
G.Rajamurali.
I would agree with Ranjit’s reply in this case of production support for the sake of availability, for test or dev. you can without any issues. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
In SQL Server 2005 we have two options for upgradation/migration; in place up gradation & Side-By-Side up gradation
SIDE-BY-SIDE:
In this process we can install a SQL 2005 separately with out disturbing the previous version may be 2000 or earlier. In the process of implementing Side-by-Side upgradation process, there are many issues that can be encountered. For instance, there may be a problem while installation and the available objects in previous version may not be compatible with the newer version and it would be difficult to revert back to the existing state if there is a problem while up gradation. Since Side-by-Side up gradation involves manual restructuring of many database objects which is tedious and error prone process, we should be careful while migrating databases. It is better to test the migration process before migrating the production databases. microsoft KBs can help you to learn things better Dont go on my posts iam still a student (*_*)
In any case Upgrade Advisor can give you more information to handle such type of upgrade help. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
]]>