SQL 2000 and Windows 2003 | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

SQL 2000 and Windows 2003

I’ve a SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition, with 2 instances. Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition. 2 CPUs and 6 GB of RAM. The Server also has the Active Directory.
I know that if I add the /3GB swith to the boot.ini, the server will recognize 4GB and if I replace that switch with /APE it will recognized the 6GB. With those 2 switches, the operative system reserves 1 GB What SQL parameters should I change so it will use the rest of the memory???. If I use /3GB, will both instances use the 3GB??
If I use /APE, will both instances be able to use the 5GB?? Also, how much virtual memory (mimimun and maximum) should I asigned to the OS and to the SQl instances?? Thanks,[:I]
<font color="blue">cece</font id="blue">
No chance. SQL 2000 standard edition can reach up to 2GB. Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
So, when I added those switches, only the OS recognized the rest of the memory[?] cece
Yes. You need Enterprise Edition to get up to 6GB.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
If I add the /3GB, is there a way SQL Server Standar Edition may use all the 2GB memory and the Windows 2003 Entreprise Edition the rest 4GB of memory?? [:0] cece
Never try, but sound reasonable. In all cases SQL try to get all memory available.
Luis Martin
Bertrand Russell
If you have SQL Server standard edition and this is a dedicated SQL Server, you need to forget about the /3GB switch. MeanOldDBA
[email protected] When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Because last post, no longer reasonable. Luis Martin
Bertrand Russell
KBAhttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;274750&sd=tech for your information and what refers Luis too. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>