SQL 2000 SP4 installation problem | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

SQL 2000 SP4 installation problem

Hi, I am having a Win2k advanced server with SQL server 2000(Enterprise) SP3 on it. I am trying to install SQL 2000 SP4 on the same. I have stopped all the services and applications that connect to this server. When the installation begins and I reach the dialog where it prompts for the authentication, I provide the sa password. After this when I click on the "Next" button, I see a message "Validating user..please wait." This goes on till the setup fails with a timeout error. Following is an extract from the sqlsp.log file created by the setup: 11:03:41 Begin SDPassword Dialog
11:03:50 End SDPassword Dialog
11:03:50 C:DOCUME~1ADMINI~1LOCALS~1TempSqlSetupBinscm.exe -Silent 1 -Action 6 -Service MSSQLSERVER
11:04:21 Process Exit Code: (0)
11:04:21 C:DOCUME~1ADMINI~1LOCALS~1TempSqlSetupBinscm.exe -Silent 1 -Action 1 -Service MSSQLSERVER -StartupOptions -T4022
11:34:46 Process Exit Code: (1460) This operation returned because the timeout period expired. 11:34:51 A service control operation failed for the MSSQLSERVER service: 1460
This operation returned because the timeout period expired. 11:34:53 Setup was unable to verify the state of the server for an upgrade. Verify the server is able to start and that you provided a valid sa password and restart setup.
11:34:53 End Action DialogShowSdUpgrade
11:34:53 End: ShowDialogs()
11:34:53 Action CleanUpInstall:
11:34:53 Installation Failed.
Other Information:
MDAC is installed ver. 2.8 SP1
Kindly let me know if anyone has encountered any such issue. I have gone through several articles on net but to no success. Regards, Chetan Jain
I believe you’re trying to apply via TS and check whether the account use has required admin privileges on SQL server. KBAhttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814774 for information. Satya SKJ
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Hello, I have tried with sa as well as local administrator(windows authentication) but the result is same. I have also tried changing the SQL startup account from a domain account to localsystem, still no success. I have also gone through the link but I cannot relate the information with the problem that I am facing. Could you explain in brief as to which section in the link I shall refer to. Another observation found is if I do "select @@version", I can see the version as 8.00.2039 (SP4) but it is known only to me that the set up was incomplete. Please give ur comments as to how can I resolve this.
Regards, Chetan Jain
I have had similar problem when applying SP4 on SQL Server 2000 and I did get 2039 as version number with failed installation. I have stopped unnecessary services such as virus scanner or other printing required services and then applied SP4 without any issues. Before proceeding SP4 application reboot the box and stop unnecessary services. Satya SKJ
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
I have had this problem a couple of times and resolved it by rebooting the machine first then apply sp4. Waters
]]>