Sql 2005 clustering active/active | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Sql 2005 clustering active/active

Hello As you will find out I know little about sql, but if some one still could answer my question… We have set up a 2 node Microsoft 2003 cluster active/active, we installed sql 2005 on first node then installed sql 2005 on the second node (thats the way or..), it all looks good so far, but in the cluster we have one sql server resource and that how it is or.. But we only have one sql agent resource (first node) should it not be one for each node? Or is that something you have to do you self. Can some one text down what is general for the cluster and what’s specific for nodes.

For each instance you should have the SQL Server and the SQL Server Agent services on every node. So, for an active/active installation that means two SQLSERVER services, and two SQLSERVERAGENT services in service manager. If not, you haven’t got an active/active cluster. Or maybe no cluster at all…
How many SQL services do you see on each node? Early morning, when I wake up,
I look like Kiss but without the makeup –Robbie Williams, Strong
iI have two SQLSERVER services, and two SQLSERVERAGENT services in service manager’s.
But in the cluster administrator i only have one sql agent resource from the first node /Stefan
First Node: Cluster Ip address
Cluster Name
Disk F
Disk G
Disk H
Disk Q
MSDTC Service
Sql ip address (srv1)
Sql networkname (srv1)
Sql Server Agent (srv1)
Sql Server Fulltext (srv1)
——————————————————-
Second Node: Analysis Services (srv2)
Disk J
Disk K
Sql ip address (srv2)
Sql Networkname (srv2)
——————————————————– I want to have an active/active conf.
Should there be and Sql Server Agent for Srv2 also or is the Agent general for the cluster.
You should see a resource ‘SQL Server’ and a resource ‘SQL Server agent’ in both resource groups in cluster administrator. The way it looks now, you can probably move the first resource group, but not the second.
Also, your basic setup is wrong, since you installed the first SQL instance in the cluster resource group. It should be something like:
Cluster resource group:
Cluster Ip address
Cluster Name
Disk Q
MSDTC Service SQL instance 1 resource group:
Disk
IP Address
SQL Server
SQL Agent
Fulltext SQL instance 2 resource group:
Disk
IP Address
SQL Server
SQL Agent
Fulltext And if your servers use DTC a lot, MS DTC should be in its own resource group with its own name, IP address and disk. Do you have the option to re-install? Early morning, when I wake up,
OK I missed to fill in Sql Server in instance 1, that i have so i need Sql Server & Agent for instance 2, can’t i configurate that by hand? And is this the way to install sql 2005: First install on node 1
Then install on node 2,when you install node 2 i takes some parameters made from node 1 when we installed node 2, we didnt get any errors, so wy didnt the Sql server & agent come thru on instance 2. i’m sorry if im beeing stupied here, but i dont find any real good white papers om this.
iv been told that i differs from installing Sql 2000.
It does differ, but not too much. One difference is that you have to install the tools (Management Studio etc) on both nodes; SQL 2000 does this for you. From what you tell me it seems you tried to install the same instance 2 times, once on each node. You don’t have to do this. If you run setup on one node and tell setup to install a virtual server (as opposed to a local install) setup will install SQL on both nodes.
Just to be clear: the second time you ran setup, did you enter the same virtual server name as the first time? Early morning, when I wake up,
OK
Sorry for beeing slow here, but the misstake we made was to install on both nodes.
You should do all new instances from node 1, and that push’s it to all other nodes?
I’m beeing sloow here because a college to me is very sure of him self how it should be.. Thank you very much Robert (catullus)
I remember now, we typed in the second virtual server of course…
It really shouldn’t matter which node you’re installing from, as long as it currently owns the disk(s) you’re installing SQL on. You run setup once for each instance, and setup will do the installation on each node. After you’ve installed all instances, you still have to install the management tools on the other nodes. Setup doesn”t do that for SQL2005 (unfortunately).
I know the feeling of colleagues who think they know it all. That doesn’t help at all… In my opinion, SQL clustering is difficult enough without everybody giving their opinion. Personally, I take the Microsoft white papers, and follow them to the letter. That way, I’ve never had a problem installing a cluster. If you typed in the second virtual server during the second setup, then something went really wrong. Is it an option to remove SQL and reinstall? Early morning, when I wake up,
OK Uinstall=yes we are in a testing fase, so the only problem is to uninstall sql properly, ive found one articel on that
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144259.aspx and looking for some more thanks a lot
]]>