SQL 2K5 licensing question | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

SQL 2K5 licensing question

Hi, We are currently using SQL 2K with sp4. I have some licensing queston and hope I am in the right forum. Our web servers(ColdFusion) are consistantly using 100 SQL connections for our web users. We plan to upgrade to SQL 2K5 and we don’t have any open license or upgrade license so we will need to pay full price for the upgrade (at least that’s what I think). Using per processor license, we will need to pay $100,000 for two SQL servers with 2 CPU each. Will it be more cost effective to use per seat (100 connection) to purchase SQL 2K5 if this is doable? I don’t know how the Microsoft SQL licensing define ‘user’ whether it is a connection or an actual user? We have been using SQL 2K for a few years and not up-to-date on Microsoft licensing so that’s why I post this question. I hope someone may have some experience with that and give me some idea. Wingman
In this scenario I think Processor licensing is ideal and in order to take correct decision its better to contact the Vendor or even Microsoft support on licensing issue. Recently they are upto date on licensing issue with regard to SQL 2005. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>