SQL 2K5 profiler | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

SQL 2K5 profiler

From 2K5 BOL, the unit of duration column is Microsecond, but when I ran a trace, I found in real environment, it is still millisecond like SQL 2K? My server is EE 9.00.1039. Am I wrong?
——————
Bug explorer/finder/seeker/locator
——————
If you save the trace to a file or a table the column will be Microseconds…not in profiler GUI… From BOL:
In SQL Server 2005, the SQL Server Profiler graphical user interface displays the Duration column in milliseconds by default, but when a trace is saved to either a file or a database table, the Duration column value is written in microseconds.
MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

Since the SQL 70 days it is like milliseconds and I believe that is where you can get down that far.
Fyi, it is the elapsed time by the statement or transaction Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information on it.
I saved to a trace file, later reopen it, it is still millisecond instead of micorsecond, did you notice it?
quote:Originally posted by MohammedU If you save the trace to a file or a table the column will be Microseconds…not in profiler GUI… From BOL:
In SQL Server 2005, the SQL Server Profiler graphical user interface displays the Duration column in milliseconds by default, but when a trace is saved to either a file or a database table, the Duration column value is written in microseconds.
MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

——————
Bug explorer/finder/seeker/locator
——————
Yes, it is correct…
When ever it opens in profiler it shouws in ms not mic. sec….
Please read Bol once again… When you pull the data from trace file or trace table, it will convert to ms and display… MohammedU.

SQL 2005 can only work the micro-second capability on the CPU frequency, for instance when you use the SET STATISTICS TIME statement to display server execution, parse, and compilation times, you may obtain incorrect values. So in this case the CPU (hardware) is important factor to address that frequency issues, moreover that is not something related to PROFILER trace at all and you need not worry. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information on it.
]]>