SQL Client Tools on Windows 2003 Web Edition | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

SQL Client Tools on Windows 2003 Web Edition

I am trying to install Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer on Windows 2003 Server Web Edition in order to access/manage a seperate SQL Server running on Windows 2000 Server. Installing the client tools from the SQL CD like you would on Windows 2000 Server for Web Servers DOES NOT work on Windows 2003. After inserting CD, selecting install and then install database server components, nothing happens. I realize that Microsoft’s licensing for the web edtion excludes you from using the server as a SQL server and this is probably what is stopping the installation. BUT I just want the client tools. Anyone else with this problem?
STEVE
I think you cannot use client tools on Win2K3 web edition, I believe its restricted at that point to use only for Server edition. May check with MS Support for any additional information. Also check thishttp://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/windowsnetsupport.asp ms link. _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

Minimum requirements for SQL Server says that you can install only MSDE on W2K3 web edition.
OK…seems rather silly. You should be able to install Enterprise Manager on any OS to manage a remote SQL server. You can install it on Windows 2000 for web servers, Windows 2000 pro, xp home and windows 98/95 for crying out loud….why not Windows 2003 for web servers? The link above just provides info about installing a full SQL server on various versions of Windows, which isn’t what I want. Guess I’ll have to live without it on web edition until Microsoft provides the client tools as a seperate tool.
STEVE
On Windows 2K3 web edition installations of non-Web serving applications are prohibited. ASP.NET-based applications that include code written in third-party programming languages can include that programming language’s runtime components. For non-Web serving applications, you should consider Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition. Windows Server 2003, Web Edition, is designed specifically for dedicated Web serving needs, specifically designed as a single-purpose Web server, Windows Server 2003, Web Edition, delivers the next generation of Web infrastructure capabilities to Windows server operating systems. _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

]]>