SQL error 17883 – very slow performance | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

SQL error 17883 – very slow performance

I am using SQL Server 2000 SP3. An application I am running has a daily cleanup function that runs against a database table. This table has 11 million rows, and the cleanup function deletes aged data with a query that does a table scan and joins another table. It is conceivable that 2 or 3 million rows could be selected for deletion. When this query kicks off from within the application, the computer becomes very unresponsive. Clicking Start…Programs… can take 5 minutes. However, Task Manager shows 99% idle, and 1% to sqlserver.exe. After a few hours, the query will eventually return errors. The SQL Error log sometimes shows error: 17883 and the message: "The Scheduler 0 appears to be hung". The problem seems to take over the operating system to the point where you can’t even reboot the server in an attempt to kill it. This is supposedly a known bug in SQL Server 2000 SP3 (KB article 810885). See this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810885 Do you know of any way to workaround this problem? The query can’t really be changed easily. The computer is a dual 1.6 Mhz CPU, with 1 Gb RAM. SQL 2000 SP 3 was installed using default configuration. Thanks.
I wish I had an answer for you, but this problem is new to me. Other than rescheduling the job (as suggested by the article) or perhaps by beefing up the server (probably impractical), I don’t know. If you have a Microsoft Support contract, I would suggest you contact them about what to do. ——————
Brad M. McGehee
Webmaster
SQL-Server-Performance.Com
Hi MitchG,
Did you get the answer??
I got the same error and I don’t know how to do. Jelly.
What is the service pack level on OS and SQL? This 17883 error message is new and introduced in SP3 which draws attention to a problematic situation with SQL Server schedulers. The error message indicates that some resource is not appropriately yielding the SQL Server scheduler. This causes the non-yielding thread to run for extended periods of time, thereby starving other threads on that SQL Scheduler. The server may also become unresponsive. As referred by BRad, you need to schedule the events accordingly.
_________
Satya SKJ

Well here is another update with regard to 17883 error (got thru my library), refer to this KBA http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319892 also for information which may help you to resolve the issue. I encourage you to review the details in the article as it is intended to clarify the health monitoring messages and necessary troubleshooting activities. Also to resolve this issue MS Support has the latest QFE to correct the issues those are caused after SP3, so the last resort would be to contact MS SUpport to obtain the latest build to troubleshoot the issue as a whole. _________
Satya SKJ

Satya,Many thanks for your help. I will pleasure if you would like to discuss this title.
My server’s OS is Windows2000 Advanced Server+SP3,the Sql Server is Enterprise +SP3.
Last night I added a RAID array 1 to this server,i have no idea that this operation affected the SQL Server? Can I trace this error message??? Jelly.
If you have added H/w to the current setup and if any issues can be found from EVENT VIEWER.
I don’t think this would affect the SQL in any matter, and if you modified any of the databases to read thru this new RAID then make sure all necessary privilges has been affected. _________
Satya SKJ

Satya, Thanks for the followup. From the links you sent, I read that the problem is fixed in MS03-031, which oddly did not get "pushed" to my computer via Windows Update (it’s a mystery what gets chosen for Windows Update). I guess it will be fixed in SQL 2000 SP4, so I’ll just wait for that. I don’t like putting on too many hotfixes until they have "aged" a bit. The problem was unusual, and I haven’t had it in a long time, but thanks for the heads up. –Mitch
Mitch Most of the hotfixes released by Microsoft are critical and always recommend to test it and apply to the SQL installations. For information sake refer to technet security http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/default.asp.
Always …. prevention is better than cure….. _________
Satya SKJ

]]>