SQL MAIL SETTINGS | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

SQL MAIL SETTINGS

HI,
MY CASE HERE IS.HOW TO MAKE SQL MAIL WORKS.
THE SCENARIO IS 1 I HAVE SQL 2000 INSTALLED IN A PROXY SERVER CONNECTED TO MY WEB SERVER THROUGH MODEM .
2 MICOR SOFT EXCHANGE SERVER IS RUNNING IN MY WEB SERVER.
3 I HAVE OUTLOOK 2000 INSTALLED IN MY PROXY SERVER NOW MY REQUIREMENT IS HOW TO USE SQL MAIL IN MY PROXY SERVER . IF YOU WANT ANY MORE INFORMATION NO PROBLEM YOU CAN FORWARD THE SAME.I TRIED SQL MAIL IN THIS SCENARIO MANY A TIME AND FAILLED
SO I WANT YOUR ADVICE REGARDING THIS,PLEASE.
THANKS & REGARDS,
THIRUVENGADAM. THIRUVENGADAM
If you haven’t done so yet, please read this Microsoft document, available at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q263556 Since you haven’t described the exactly the type of problem you are having, it is hard to make a recommendation. First, read the document above. Second, be sure that you can use Outlook 2000 (on its own, without SQL Server getting involved) with your Exchange server without any problems. Third, ensure you have the service accounts setup up properly for SQL Server, as this is a common problem area. While in theory you can run SQL Server and a Proxy Server all on the same physical server, keep in mind that the performance of both of these applications will suffer if you have any type of busy workload at all.
——————
Brad M. McGehee
Webmaster
SQL-Server-Performance.Com
quick question on this subject… Currently my sql server runs as administrator on our domain (which has every priveledge under the sun). In order to allow sql mail to run, (and tighten up security), I want to run it as a different user account. Am I right in thinking that this new user account needs no real priveledges? (my SQL server does not have any DTS which write files etc, just needs to do its job, and send mails) Cheers.

]]>