SQL Management studio and SS 2000 | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

SQL Management studio and SS 2000

I have SS 2000 and do not plan to migrate to SS 2005 in near future. However, I would like to use SQL Management Studio to manage my SS 2000 instances. How can I do that? Can I just install SQL Management Studio without having to install SS 2005? If yes, Can SQL Management Studio co-exist with EM and QA?
You can install only 2005 tools, but about co-exist I had, sometimes, problems. Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Though I would like to experiment with and learn new ways of doing things, I have to support a live production installation and I just can’t afford to have any problems with that. If I quicky want to query my DB, write a quick SP, etc., EM and QA is a combination I would be comfortable with. I can create a new test DB where I could afford to use SQL Management Studio to practice and learn. What would be you advice?
Yes, I suggest to try in other PC installing first 2000 full and after 2005 tools.
The big problem with 2005 is: there is no easy uninstall. Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
You’re risking your job here.
Do not deploy SQL Server 2005 tools yet on the production server, you may be risking losing the production databases. If you want to gt acquaintance of SQL2K5 tools, then use a development/test server and proceed further. SQL 2k5 is still under beta testing and until unless the RTM version is released you should not deploy on the production server. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Thanks for the tip. Even on a DEV server, I have experienced problems. SQL Management Studio and EM/QA don’t want to co-exist. I have not tried just installing the Management Tools only. I’ve tried a full SS 2005 install. EM started complaining that the file is missing. QA worked. Maybe if I just install the Management Tools, it may work. Can I just pop in the CD and it will give me an option to install Management tools only?
Yes, but try to uninstall all 2005 before.
Luis Martin
Bertrand Russell
I installed the SS 2005 April CTP (Management Tools only) and it peacefully seems to co-exist with EM/QA. I am able to query my database (which is on SS 2000) with EM/QA as well as SS Management Studio. Also, I was also able to connect to my PRD DB using SQL Management Studio. So far it has been a smooth ride. I am sure that bumps are just round the corner.
While I was installing SS 2005, I had option to install Notification Services, Reporting Services, Analysis Services, etc. Do I require them? Is it safe to install these? Basically, apart from the Database Engine (for which I want SS 2000), is it ok to install the rest?
IF you want to use Notification/Reporting services then install, ensure the hardware is equipped with relevant configuration.#
Otherwise for fun just deal with Managment studio and SQL 2K. Satya SKJ
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
I am not too familiar with Notification/Reporting service. I have plenty to learn with SQL Management Studio itself. If I don’t need it, I will not install it. You are right, I am better off dealing with the two combination. The only reason I was asking is because of my ignorance.
Where exactly are you able to download the Management Studio?
Since I am a MSDN Subscriber, I was able to download the full ISO image from MSDN site. I the used ISOBuster to extract it on my disk. After that I ran SETUP.EXT and chose Management Tools only.
I have a DEV Box on which I have Windows XP Pro with SS 2000 and VS 2005 Beta 2. As client tools for SS, I have both EM/QA as well as SQL Management Studio. Both of which seem to co-exist peacefully. I can access my database with either one of them. I also have a TST box on which I have SS 2000 running on a Windows 2003 server. I am thinking of installing SS 2005 as a side-by-side install on it. Will they co-exist peacefully? On my DEV box, when I devlop an application in VS 2005, I connect locally to the database. Will I also need to install SS 2005 on my DEV box. BTW, will I gain a lot by installing SS 2005 or I am OK with SS 2000. When I migrated from VS 1.x to 2.0, I gained tremendously. There is no doubt in my mind that I could never have done so much so fast if I had stuck to VS 1.x. Is it the same with SS 2005? I am fortunate to start a new project. Should I start that in SS 2005 or should I stick to SS 2000?

I don’t recommend migrate to 2005 before final release.
Luis Martin
Bertrand Russell
Right now I am perfectly happy with the combination of ss 2000 and vs 2005. Since I have installed Beta 2 of vs 2005, I’ve refrained from putting ss 2005 in the mix as I will have too many beta products. I want to nail down vs 2005 before I tackle ss 2005. But I am in a bit of conundrum as I don’t want the data to grow beyond a point for the new system. I feel that the more data I have in ss 2000, the harder it will be to migrate.
I don’t agree that because of data volume you may hit the upgrade problems.
I feel it depends on how the application will behave with the newer version of software. I don’t see any issue in getting SQL 2K5 full release by this year end, as Microsoft developer confirmed the same in SQL PASS Munich last week. Satya SKJ
]]>