SQL Memory Issues – Need Advice | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

SQL Memory Issues – Need Advice

We are currently using SQL 2000 Standard with W2K Standard and the server has 3Gb of RAM. SQL is currently occupying 1.85Gb of memory which I believe is the maximum for this version of the OS. I believe I am at my limitations with my current versions of software. My questions are: 1) Is the version of SQL Standard actually different than the Enterprise edition. Will my database run on Enterprise if it runs on Standard? 2) The same questions goes for the operating system? If my code runs on W2k Standard will it run on Advanced Server? Thanks a lot…

Enterprise Edition has got other advantages and higher hand than Standard Edition and you can find the differences between these 2 editions from books online. There is no difference in execution style, may be you will gain with Enterpriese Edition. What kind of code you’re running on the operating system to differentiate? If it is the SQL code then no issues in running EE. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Here are some examples of “special” SQL code we use in the App. Other than that, we use regular stored procedures in a standard way: – To search on TEXT fields for a given pattern we use the PATINDEX function. This is critical to us. – We also need to replace content in TEXT fields using the UPDATETEXT function. – To upload files in to a BLOB field in the database we use the UPDATETEXT and TEXTPTR functions. The code for these three cases was taken from MSDN examples, so it should be the standard way to use them.
1) Yes, but Enterprise Edition can reach 3Gb, Standard only 2Gb.
2) Yes. Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Are you using full text seacrh or doing it in SQl Server it self. May be if you start using MS Search to do these operations we can work around the Virtual address space and 2 gig issues.
]]>