SQL memory problem | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

SQL memory problem

Hi
I have written software with MS SQL 2000 and .NET C#
while using the software the memory grows till 800Mb RAM
after what the applications reports connection time out
after restarting SQL it is OK Any ideas. For example after shrinking it grows also.
And I should restart SQL server The RAM is 1.5 Gb
and database about 400Mb Thank you
What are the memory settings on SQL?
It looks like the SQL is stressed with the queries from .NET C# application, capture PERFMON counters for CPU, physical disk, memory and SQL Server memory for further assessment. Also try to increase the query timeout value and perform regular database reindex checks & recompile the stored procedures for optimum performance. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
The memory of SQL is dynamicaly configured
from 0 to 1024 Mb
The hard disk is Ok I can increase the time out but it is not solution
becouse the size of sqlsrv.exe in the memory grows ! It begins from about 50Mb and I need to restart SQL after 12-20 hours after it
grows until 800Mb
As referred capture the counters for further assessment. Satya SKJ
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
There is indexes rebuilding every night
can you please tell me how I perform counters? I dont think that my apps stress SQL
There are simple applications can you please be more detailed THANK YOU
Physical disk: Avg. Disk Queue Length.
CPU: %Total CPU.
Memory: Pages/sec.
System: Processor Queue Length.
SQL Server Buffer Manager: Cache Hit Ratio, Page Life Expectancy.
SQL Server Memory Manager: SQL Server Memory.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Is application running on the same machine as mssql server?
NO
aplications work via local network
and WEB
ASP.NET and c#
and windows based .NET c# BUt for example if I make shrink the memory grows too I Cannot fix !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about Satya recommendations?
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
About his recomendations the CPU max is 16%
another data is Ok
but the size in memory Grows !
Why don’t you just post performance counters values and let us try figure out what is going on? Is it the only db on the server besides system dbs? What is tempdb size? Running profiler trace to catch long running queries may be usefull. What is your application functionality?
can you tell me please how to send performance counters
tempdb size is 8Mb
Aplications work very fast without sress or something else
the CPU almost while time is free in commeon less than 20% !
I checked for long queries, it seems to me there is Ok I ahave checked all connections I open them and Close.
No open connections remain !
All indexes table I rebuilding each night
Also check whether any hardware issues on the machine such as NIC or switch on the network might be contributing the performance issues to jag up the CPU of sQL Server. Post the values for the collected performance counters here for further assessment, also try to submit the trace collected from PROFILER to INDEX TUNING WIZARD for any recommendations. Also elaborate on application functionality such as which Programming language is used and how you’re calling/managing the data from applicatin. What is the level of service pack on SQL and Operating system?
HTH Satya SKJ
I am checking now performance with Profiler and analizing it with Index Tuning
almost all queries Ok
BUt in Event Class "Audit Logout" the CPU was 471 and reads 7816
it seems to me it is abnormal
all queries take not more than 15 CPU SQL version 8.00.18
OS Windows 2003 server with all patches

SQL version 8.00.18?
May be 8.00.818?
Luis Martin
Yea you are right
I have noticed in SQL profile
that users login with but there is no logout strings
May be it is the Reason?? of memory growing?
It is written in SQL profie
under ErrorLog 2005-01-14 19:37:14.94 logon Login succeeded for user ‘YNTANEKANAdministrator’. Connection: Trusted.

Review the webcast about using PROFILERhttp://support.microsoft.com/?scid=…rvicedesks/webcasts/en/wc111400/wct111400.asp effectively. If you feel these events are taking too much of memory on SQL server, capture PROCESS counter also and see what kind of processess are running during this activity. For interim results add more physical memory to SQL. Satya SKJ
]]>