SQL Server 2000 and snapshot backup | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

SQL Server 2000 and snapshot backup

Ladies and Gentlemen; I am currently working with a client who has an EMC SAN utilized as shared storage for an SQL server cluster. They want to do snapshot backups of the DB using Snapview and/or Veritas Volume Manager… Currently, I am aware that snapshot backups can be performed with SQL server 2000, but I cannot for the life of me find any refference to HOW. I know there is some mode that the DB must be put into when the snapshot is taken on the SAN, but I don’t know how this is accomplished. I would be truly greatful if someone who know how this works could help me figure this out. Thank you in advance!!! Michael Wise
One of the MS Site refers
Server-less snapshot backups require the use of a third-party virtual device interface (VDI) application that can communicate directly with an advanced enterprise storage system that supports split-mirror or copy-on-write operations. A common scenario for using server-less snapshot backups would be with three-way mirroring. The VDI backup application can "break off" one of the mirrors (two mirrors continue to support users) and either back up that mirror to tape or make it available to another system. In the latter case, the backup effectively becomes an immediately available standby database. Server-less snapshot backups can be restored very quickly when brought online from a (disk-based) mirror. Not surprisingly, restorations from tape take longer. Server-less snapshots backups offer great flexibility to organizations. Besides being a technique for initializing "warm" standby servers, they can be used to easily create reporting or test databases, with effectively no impact on production servers. SQL Server maintains the history of server-less snapshot backups, and these can be rolled forward using conventional differential and log backups.
Check this Q&A link http://www.sql-server-performance.com/q&a108.asp] for more information. _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

Satya, Thank you for your post. I am; however, hoping someone can offer me an idea of how the solution will work, or how I configure the VDI application, rather than quoting the SQL Server Evaluation guide (which I have already done). I understand that SQL server needs an application that supports or uses the VDI interface, but I am not sure how to configure. Do I need to tell SQL server that it’s goinjg to have a snapshot taken? If so, where or how do I do this? Or do I need to have the VDI application simply take the snapshot and assume that it’s going to work without having to do anything at all in SQL server? Thanks in advance, Michael Wise
For information check this link http://www.sql-server-performance.com/backup_restore_tuning.asp] on backup/restore tips (look for snapshot). _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

]]>