SQL Server 2K Licensing | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

SQL Server 2K Licensing

I have a SQL Server 2K machine as the central DB server.
There are around 120 occassionally connected laptops on the internet/intranet having MSDE installed. But they do not talk directly to the server. The exchange of data is done via the intermediary web services ….
That means on the server as well as laptop, the database calls are made from the application alone.
What kind of licensing would I require for this kind of scenario ? I am aware of the 3 licensing models :
-Per-Processor
-Server with User CALs
-Server with Device CALS I am not sure whether the MSDE would require licensing since it doesn’t talk to the SQL Server directly…..
Will Server license alone suffice ?
Its better to contact MS support in this case and get more information on licensing fromhttp://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr…rodtechnol/sql/reskit/sql2000/part2/c0461.asp this link. _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

As Satya suggests, contact Microsoft, as the rules don’t seem to always be the same all the time. But my guess would be that you will need a CAL for every user who gets data from your SQL Server, even if they never directly connect to it. But again, this is an opinion, and only Microsoft can tell you for sure. —————————–
Brad M. McGehee, MVP
Webmaster
SQL-Server-Performance.Com
]]>