SQL Server DB naming convention | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

SQL Server DB naming convention

Hi guys, Does anybody have a link to a website preferrably microsoft where I can find information about sql server db naming convention specification (best practices). Thanks in advance
I don’t have a link but it’s mainly common sense, I reckon. use sensible case – e.g. lower! Don’t use spaces. Make it meaningful. Keep it short. That kind of thing. Tom Pullen
DBA, Oxfam GB
I know that its just that I need an article or a link to a page to backup an arguement.
It is the accepted norm amongst developers, and probably also amongst DBAs. Anyone not belonging to either category should not have a say about any issue at this level of detail. They can have a friendlier name for the database at the presentation level, no problem, but do not let them force you to code around unacceptable requirements.
still no article to back this up…
Adriaan,
I would have to agree with that analogy. I am only a year into all of this and even after taking the needed classes, I still feel uncomfortable informing my clients of such details. I have hired a DBA to help me with issues on the platform which is above my knowledge base at this time. (but learning more each day) the
Bugster
Nothing to refer a article from MS buthttp://vyaskn.tripod.com/object_naming.htm which are deemed as best practices.
Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Matey,
Sorry about that, I should have mentioned, when it came time to install the schema for this site, the company I work for created a standard naming convention for their software but also changed some for the client. I haven’t seen any standardization other than keeping it simple and no spaces. the
Bugster

Tried to search mcdba training material? I would expect naming conventions to be listed there.
Just link this thread, matey, show ’em what the great and the good of sql-server-performance have to say! Tom Pullen
DBA, Oxfam GB
]]>