SQL Server Express 2005 Disaster Recovery?? | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

SQL Server Express 2005 Disaster Recovery??

I am planning on using a SQL Server Express 2005 instance on a dedicated web host. This will contain multiple DBs all under the 4gb limit. What options are available for Disaster Recovery? I am used to using log shipping in SQL Enterprise 2000 but am aware that this is not available in the free Express 2005 version
I also understand that there is no replication/mirroring available Is there anyway I can schedule a save of the transaction log and restore this to another instance (like a manually created log shipping) or any other scenarios I can use other that frequent incremental backups? Thanks
If the database availability for the services on this server is high, why don’t you go for higher edition in SQL to keepup the options for Disaster Recovery. In this case I would go with Database Mirroring in order to achieve whatever happens. Yes, you can perform your own log shipping by porting transaction log to another server if the business are happy to lose a min. of 10 minutes transactions taking 10 minutes interval of log shipping from production server. I would also suggest to perform overnight full database backup and frequent transaction log backups. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
I would love to go for a higher edition of SQL but I have been asked to keep the price down so any db expenditure isn’t really an option. I think I am going to have to go with a 5min log ship with full nightly backups Thanks
In that case yes using 5 minute interval is best option. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>