SQL Server installation | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

SQL Server installation

I am planning to setup SQL Server on one of my production box and was wondering, what will be the best way to configure the production box for better throughput. I have the following drive volumes on my production server: C:, D:, E:, F:, Since windows NT is installed on C:. I was planning to install SQL Server on D:. Then have the Paging File on E: and use F: for database and txn log files. Is this a good way to persue? I somehow feel having database and txn log files reside on F: will impact performance. what to you guys recommend? Appreciated some input on this. Many thanks,
Cali
If you have the option use different drives for data and log files and tempdb to improve the performance. http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlcat/archive/2005/11/21/495440.aspx
MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

MohammedU, Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately i can not have options for more drives then what i listed. But is it ok, if i place txn log files on E: drive? (Note: Paging file is also residing on E: drive). What about Tempdb? where should i place this? Appreciated your advice. Many thanks,
Cali
If you have available additional disk you can use it for tempdb… Note: If your drives physical you may get performance advantage where as if it is logical no use…
MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

]]>