SQL Server Job Failure | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

SQL Server Job Failure

Hi, I have SQL server 2000 on a W2K Advanced Server OS. SQL server was installed by using local Windows Administrator account. Now, I rename the Windows Administrator to some other name and create new a job. The job should take the backup of a database from this SQL server. However, I see that this scheduled job fails with an error message indicating that the <ServernameAdministrator> does not have access to the SQL server. I check that I created job through windows authentication(after renaming administrator) still the owner name in the Job appears as <ServernameAdministrator>. I even tried changing the owner name manually from the drop-down in EM but it is not working. Hence, i create a windows user name "Administrator" on this server. My job executes successfully. would like to know the reasons for such behaviour and if possible how do i execute the job successfully after removal of "Administrator". Kindly let me know. Do I have to re-install SQL server???
Regards, Chetan.

You have to go to: Services, SQLserverAgent and change logon to same new Administrator.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Hi, Thanks for your prompt response. The logon name is a domain account with administrative priveleges on the server. I did not get this. How is it possible that the job will execute successfully if i change the service logon account? please explain.
Regards, Chetan
As you’re using a local windows account for SQL Server services – MSSQLAgent and in order to function the job (such as network file handling) the same account (named) must exist with required privileges in order to workout the job. If not you can start SQLAgent with a domain account with required privileges and see the job works. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Hi, I am using local administrator account to connect to the SQL server and not as a service log on account. Secondly, the sql services are running under domain account which is a member of local administrators group. However, according to my observation, it is not a problem with the service log on account. According to me, renaming local adminisrator account after installing SQL server is causing this problem. Once again to remind you that the error message indicates that the <Servername>Administrator account is not having access to the SQL server. The "Administrator" here is now renamed. Please let me if there is anyway i can fix this.
Regards, Chetan Chetan.
Change owner of the as SA instead of a windows login. Satya SKJ
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Hi, Thanks Satya. I also believe it will work with SA. However, do let me know if I could make the job successful using administrator(renamed) login since this is a production environment. what i think probably there is some reference of the administrator in SQL server which needs to be updated. However, i do not know the right way?? just guessing…anyways, do write if there is something that can be done about this.?? Also let me know if re-install is the only solution.
Regards, Chetan

any updates??? i do not understand why i have to recreate a local user named "administrator" and grant access to it on SQL server. Otherwise the job fails saying that "Could not determine whether the owner of the job <Server/Administrator> has access to the server." also when i try to change the owner name from the Properties box it does not take that. i mean i select the new owner name and click Apply but somehow when i again open the Properties i see the old owner name (i.e <Server/Administrator> ). can anyone help me with this??? regards chetan
What is the actual SQLServeragent owner?
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Hi, SQL agent is running under a domain account. This doimain account is a member of Adminisrator on the server. The SQL server service also runs under the security context of the same account.
regards, chetan
Could you please run PROFILER during this job execution and check all the logs including SQL server, SQLAgent and event viewer. Satya SKJ
I do not have access to the server right now since I had only done one time setup for this server. Our team at a different location is handling this server. As a temporary solution, I had re-created a windows user named "Administrator" and found that the job executes successfully (all the other things remaining same). However, I know that this is not the right solution. Also, I have tried creating some other jobs and found that they are also failing for the same error – "Unable to determine whether the ServerAdminisrator has access to the server." Hence, I would like to know how do I change the owner of the job to the renamed administrator because then I think the job should execute w/o problems. Let me know if i m wrong?. I have also tried changing the job owner name from EM but it does not work. If anything is possible, do let me know. Regards, Chetan.
]]>