SQL Server licensing | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

SQL Server licensing

Env.: SQL 2005 on Win2003 I am a DBA and I have a SQL Server 2005 license for each server. To manage the servers, I want to install SQL Server 2005 on my local desktop. Do I need a license for it as well? Thanks,
CanadaDBA
You need a client tools license, you don’t need to install SQL Server Database Engine on your PC, I presume. The client tools license is fairly cheap I think.
I don’t think you need a licence for client tools…. SQL Server Pricing and Licensing
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/sqlserverlicensing.mspx
MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com
maybe SQL 2005 Express Edition is fit for u need, but u still need to go to server to manage SSIS
quote:Originally posted by CanadaDBA Env.: SQL 2005 on Win2003 I am a DBA and I have a SQL Server 2005 license for each server. To manage the servers, I want to install SQL Server 2005 on my local desktop. Do I need a license for it as well? Thanks,
CanadaDBA

All I need is to have the SQL Server Management Studio. Not the Express one. 1. Can I install it without the SQL service?
2. Do I need license for SSMS? Is there any contact email address to ask Microsoft directly? Thanks, CanadaDBA
Yes, you can install only client tools….
You don’t need any lincence to install SSMS… Post the question in MSDB forum OR check your area MS sales rep… MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com
]]>