Sql server name and computer name | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Sql server name and computer name

Can sql have its own name (a name different to the computer hosting sql server)? I am confused when try to rename sql server for testing my standby server. After using sp_dropserver and sp_addserver stord procedures, the internal name @@servername did change but the actual sql server name is still the old name. There are articles talking about renaming sql server but I can¡¦t find an answer for my question above. I found some document talking about renaming sql server AFTER renaming the computer name. It looks like sql server use the computer name as its identification for communicating between servers and application programs. Please someone advise me the answer and the source for the answer if possible. Thanks.
Sorry, forgot to say the question is for sql server version 7. However, I’ll be appreciate the answer for sql server 2000 as well.
In SQL 7 once you execute SP_DROPSERVER & SP_ADDSERVER you should restart the machine to take affect. Whereas in SQL 2K its not necessary. Check this KBA http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303774] for more information.. _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

In SQL Server 2000, you can assign an instance name to a SQL Server that is different that the physical server’s name. SQL Server 7.0 doesn’t support multiple instances of SQL Server running on the same box. —————————–
Brad M. McGehee, MVP
Webmaster
Although you can install a named instance as brad says, its worth noting you must access it using SERVERNAMEINSTANCENAME, (in ADO at least, I dont know about other connectivities).
I’ve restarted my computer and sql server after executing sp_dropserver and sp_addserver stored procedures. I can see the @@servername is changed to the new name after sql server restarted. However, the sql server service manager and the enterprise manager still show the old name. I’ve tried to add new sql server registration in enterprise manager after deleting the original one. The new name is not on the available servers list. The registration cannot find the sql server if I manually type in the new name. So, let me back to my original question and using an example for clear. For example, the Windows NT 4 server is called ¡§NTServer1¡¨; can SQL server (version 7) be called ¡§SQLServer1¡¨ for running on this Windows server ¡§NTServer1¡¨?
Are you using special charecters in the servername or those are in different language? _________
Satya SKJ

There are no special characters in the new server name and English is the language for our system and database. Having explored the tools for sql server, the client network utility can make an alias for an sql server so that the alias and the actual sql server name are different. The alias name will be listed for adding new sql server registration in enterprise manager. The client network utility can use whatever server name you like. However, the new server name that is set in the @@servername doesn’t work for the client network utility. Only the actual NT server computer name works. In addition, the alias only effects for one client computer that making the change. I found that the server network utility didn’t allow me to change the Server name and the Computer name. Those two names always default to the actual computer name. Trying odbcping sql server, it failed for the new server name but succeeded for the actual computer name. I still cannot set different sql server name. Any thought guys?

]]>