SQL Server Performace Issuse – Please help | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

SQL Server Performace Issuse – Please help

Hello every one. Below is our SQL Server and machine configuration SQL Server Standard Edition 2000 – SP4
Intel Xeon Dual Processor 3.0 GHz
SCSI 76 GB 10K RPM RAID 1 (almost 70% of disk is free)
Windows 2003 Server Standard
2 GB memory
Our problem is that SQL server times out or slows down when performing complex tasks or running large Stored procedures. (It is working on millions of records) What should we do other than optimizing indexes etc? I am asking in terms of hardware… One option is to upgrade to quad Processor and to increase the memory. But Quad Processor option is very expensive and adding the memory means we need to buy the enterprise edition of SQL Server which supports more memory, which again costs a lot. Is there any thing else we can do? Can we add another Dual Xeon Processor with additional memory and SQL server uses the processing power and memory of two servers?
Is there any other solution to this problem? I’ll appreciate your reply Thanks Mr. X

Would be a good idea, you shared some counters: CPU, pages/sec, Avg. Disk Queue Length, Processor Queue Length, etc. Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Thanks for your reply.. But i do not have any counters available right now. Is there any suggestion you can give in the absence of these counters? -Mr X
I’m afraid no.
Will be somethink like shot in the dark to give some suggestions without more information. But is only my oppinion, I suggest to wait for other members.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
As you say it is the problem with the stored procedures execution, then ensure to compile the stored procedures and involved tables in order to optimize the performance. Schedule a job to reindex the required indexes, recompile the SPs on a timely basis, also intermittent update statistics will help a lot. Suggest as per Luis’s reference to collect PERFMON stats for further assessment. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>