SQL Server timeout | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

SQL Server timeout

I get the following error every 10-11 days on a web system I’ve built in ASP on SQL Server 2000: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80040E31)
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired
/includes/settings.inc It happens on different lines of code each time, on different days and at different times. My guess is that something is building up in the system’s memory and eventually passing a threshold and causing the server to stop serving. Other databases on the same SQL Server are unaffected and restarting SQL Server corrects the problem right away. Once the first timeout happens all subsequent queries result in timeouts, even though there’s no problem opening new connections. I’ve been careful about closing connections, and it’s always on a SQL query that the first timeout occurs, not opening the connection. Has this happened to anyone else? I can’t figure out what’s going wrong but it’s consistent. Please help,
Charles

I had one customer with that problem. I fixed using tuning tools to get more performance. Luis Martin
Look for long running transactions or blocks in your database. Also how is your connection object created? Make sure the ASP application isn’t storing the connection object in a session variable or you might end up with strange behaviour, timeout expired messages being one of them. /Argyle
Also take help of this KBA http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;190606. _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

]]>