SQLServerAgent Service is Missing | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

SQLServerAgent Service is Missing

I need to set a Maintenance Plan on a SQL Server, but the sql agent service is missing.
I looked on the Services MMC and it´s missing.
Is there a way to install the sql server agent service.
I searched the BOL but I didn´t find a way to install it. please, help me, otherwise I will have to make backup of every single database, and there are at least 100 DBs. Thanks in advance
Lucas
Logon to the machine with admin account and same as to SQL Server.
THere is no chance of missing or not installing SQLAgent service, it will be installed as a part of SQL server installation. Check from OS – Control panel –> Services and look for MSSQLAgent service. _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

The SQL Server Agent service is installed by default when you install SQL Server. It cannot be installed separately. I am not sure what problem you have. In Enterprise Manager, have you opened up the Management Folder? Here, you will see the SQL Server Agent. If the icon is green, it is running, if it is red, it is not running and needs to be started. Be default, the SQL Server Agent is not set to start automatically. It is always a good idea to set it to start automataically. The way to do this is to right-click on the server’s name in EM, select Properties, and in the General tab, select "Autostart SQL Server Agent". Also, be sure that when you install SQL Server, that you select a domain account as the service account, and make this service account a member of the local administrators group. —————————–
Brad M. McGehee, MVP
Webmaster
satya, i already looked, but just to be sure I checked it again and the service is not there. I searched by SQLSERVERAGENT and by MSSQLAgent (just like you said).
I supose that there should be an command line option, or a registry tweak to make to install the service. Let me tell you a little bit more. I didn´t install the SQL Server, It was previously installed by someone else, but he´s no longer here, so now it´s my new responsability. Thanks Lucas Efe
Is your login is a local admin on SQL server installed? _________
Satya SKJ

I don´t know what happen with the service, but it was not there when I went to see it. But I found the solution anyway. I exported a branch from another sqlserver´s registry. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesSQLSERVERAGENT] After merging it into the registry you have to reboot the machine so Windows can reload the settings. Windows it´s going to complain about the security credentials, obviously, but you can edit it with the service MMC. Its working just fine. Thanks anyway
Lucas Efe

Glad it worked, but this is not the way to resolve the issue and hacking registry is not supported by MS. _________
Satya SKJ

]]>