SSRS Format as Millions,Thousands.Hundreds | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

SSRS Format as Millions,Thousands.Hundreds

I’m putting together a profit and loss report in SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS). I need to *display* a number, e.g. 1023488.06, as 1,023.5. I’ve gotten as far as putting #,#,;(#,#,);- in the format property of the relevant textboxes. This yields 1,024. I don’t want to do this via dividing by 1000 and rounding, because users of the report will want to export these online reports into Excel and manipulate them. So I need to preserve the dollars and cents. I just want to change the display of the data, not the data.

In order to get that you have to create a function that will run to convert the numbers to words – http://novicksoftware.com/UDFofWeek/Vol2/T-SQL-UDF-Vol-2-Num-9-udf_Num_ToWords.htm fyi.

I’m not trying to convert numbers into words. I now see that my subject line may have led you to think I am. My question is asking if it’s possible to *format* numbers a certain way, without *changing* the data itself, like one can do with custom formatting in Excel: http://www.exceltip.com/st/Rounding_Numbers_to_Thousands_with_Hundreds_as_a_Decimal/63.html

You can use format function and format your data as you want. This function act as sam eas format function in vb
You probably have to force the exact delimiters with the switch (for instance in a date format: dd-mm-yyyy). Without that switch, the delimiters set in the Windows settings take precendence.

If the data isn’t getting changed or not required then using FUNCTION for graphical presentation can be achieved.

]]>

Software Reviews | Book Reviews | FAQs | Tips | Articles | Performance Tuning | Audit | BI | Clustering | Developer | Reporting | DBA | ASP.NET Ado | Views tips | | Developer FAQs | Replication Tips | OS Tips | Misc Tips | Index Tuning Tips | Hints Tips | High Availability Tips | Hardware Tips | ETL Tips | Components Tips | Configuration Tips | App Dev Tips | OLAP Tips | Admin Tips | Software Reviews | Error | Clustering FAQs | Performance Tuning FAQs | DBA FAQs |