Step 1: connect to server | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Step 1: connect to server

I am an Access/VBA developer. I installed 2005 on my notebook. When I open the Management Studio, I am asked to connect to a server. I can find no advice anywhere as to how to accomplish this essential task. I am just trying to learn to find my way around in SQL Server 2005. Until I get past this hurdle, I can do nothing. I have a script I’m ready to run to create a database, but I can’t get there from here. Thanks, Bill R
Enter the server name which your Notebook name or period (.) if you don’t have any sql installation on your notebook…make use you select WINDOWS AUTHENTICATION and hit CONNECT…. Once connected on top lef hand side of the corner you see NEW QUERY button to open the query window to run tsql commands… You can Books Online to learn more about it… Start/all programs/Microsoft sql server/Books online
MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com
The user name says "BILLS_TOSHIBA/BillR"
Server type: Database Engine
Server name: blank (no options in the list)
Authentication: Windows Authentication I’ve tried entering "BILLS_TOSHIBA" for the server name but that didn’t work. I’m not sure I understand what you want me to do to fix this. Thanks, Bill R
Are you trying to connect to the sql server locally on the box?
BILLS_TOSHIBA can be server name if BillR is local account…
If BillR is domain account then BILLS_TOSHIBA can be domain name… First of all you need to find the server name from your server team or who ever it is… other wise you don’t know… MohammedU.
Try (LOCAL) as the server name. Also make sure the instance is actually running – in the old versions we used to have a SQL Server Service Manager icon on the system tray, not sure how it is with SQL 2005.
I am not part of an enterprise. To reiterate:
I’m running SQL Server 2005 on my laptop. That’s it. No more, no less. Just my laptop. I am running it strictly to learn and practice development in Access/Excel/VBA with an SQL Server backend. I hope to learn how to write stored procedures and triggers, but I can’t get past step one! I need to create and/or connect to a server (if that’s the correct terminology) and a couple of dbs on my laptop. Other than ODBC to SQL Server dbs at client sites, I have no experience with SQL Server. I am not planning on changing careers to become an SQL Server DBA, I just need to become more proficient at the fundamentals. If I can get a server and a couple of dbs up and running on my laptop, that will be sufficient to my purpose. My assumption is that the only difference is the connection string will be a lot easier. If I learn that what I am trying to do is impossible, that too would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill R
ragtopcaddy, Withour server name you can’t connect and learn anything…
You situation is like….You want to eat the cake but you don’t know the existence of the cake… MohammedU.
Bill, apparently you missed my previous post. If SQL 2005 was installed as a default instance, then on the same computer you can connect to it under the name "(LOCAL)". Don’t forget the brackets.
I got the same error msg: TITLE: Connect to Server
—————————— Cannot connect to (LOCAL). ——————————
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 – Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2) For help, click:http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft SQL Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=2&LinkId=20476 ——————————
BUTTONS: OK
——————————
How would I install SQL Server as a "default instance"? Bill R
You install SQL Server as "default instance" by NOT setting a name for the instance during installation, and provided that this is the first instance of SQL Server to be installed on that computer. Anyway … I’m in 2000 territory, don’t know the first thing about 2005. In the program group for SQL Server, don’t you have tools like "Server Network Utility" and "Service Manager"? Those two should detect any local instance (default or named) and give you details like protocols and (non-default) ports.
IN the SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration window "there are no items to show in this view". It is inconceivable to me that SQL Server 2005 could be installed on any machine, including a laptop, in such a way as to preclude the possibility of creating dbs. Why would anyone want to do that? You should be forced to choose such a rare scenario, not be forced to choose to actually be able to create dbs. This is bizarre. Bill R
Open the command window…
Start/Run/cmd
then type ‘NET START’ without single quotes…
and check the output…
If you have default instance installed you see ‘SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)’ in your output…
for named instance yousee ‘SQL Server (InstanceName)’ in your output… If you don’t see anything means you installed only work station components… MohammedU.
OK. No sign of SQL Server in the list. I will reinstall my eval version. What should I look for during installation? What decisions can I and should I make? Thanks, Bill R
Should I uninstall my existing installation of SQL Server?
May be you installed client components (ssms, sql configuration manager etc…) but not the server… When you are installing you get one screen where you need to check the check boxes for SQL Server Database Engine ,Analysis Services ,Reporting Services , Notification Services ,Integration Services etc…. make sure you check the SQL Server Database Engine check box… http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143388.aspx
MohammedU.
Should I uninstall or reinstall over the existing installation. I’m installing from the eval version executable, not a CD.
Better uninstall and reinstall but as per the output of net start SQL SERVER databse engine is not installled on your machine… MohammedU.
]]>