Stopping jobs | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Stopping jobs

I have a few jobs that are stuck in a run mode. When I right click on it and tell the job to stop, it doesn’t. I can’t see any Current Activity because it times out, so I am afraid there are locks that aren’t releasing. How can I see what is locked or stop a job via QA? Thanks
J

Use sp_who2. Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Great ! I found the job blocking and stopped it. I need more experience with Admin via QA. When EM didn’t let me do something I was up a creek. Is there any place I can find a "definitive" guide to admin via QA? Or a list of the most used procedures? thanks
J
Books online is best resource to findout the statements that are involved on running admin SPs etc.
You may also search on google about tutorial on SQL server to find more information. If the EM is getting timed out then check there are no network issues between the client PC and SQL server. Ensure the server can be reached with a simple ping test, update lmhosts with proper ip address etc.
Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Loiter,can you tell wht job failed and why the blocking occured . you were able to run the job later? you are using EM from same machine? M interested in this becos, m doin some R&D in jobs . rajiv
gkrishn,
It was an optimization job that had been running for 10 hours.. I used EM on a virtual server on a cluster via TS. It wouldn’t stop with EM, I had to use QA code to stop it. I am rerunning the job now to see if it holds up again. Anyone know how to tell SQL Server to stop a job if is has run for too long? J
Have you checked the job history? how long it was running before? or its the first time you are running this .

BOL documented SP_STOP_JOB or SP_STOPTASK in order to achieve stopping a job. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.

To disable/enable a SQL job from query analyzer: – EXECUTE msdb.dbo.sp_update_job @job_name = ‘Job Name’, @enabled =0 Deepak Kumar –An eye for an eye and everyone shall be blind
]]>