String N'Format' Sting… | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

String N’Format’ Sting…

When I use report parameters, they get formatted with N forcing datatype transalation. e.g.
select a from table where b = ‘string’
gets formatted as
select a from table where b = N’string’
and kills performance…. Is there any way I can stop this "reformatting" from happening?
If you are using any Nvarchar data types then its better to use or identify the unicode data, if not you can continue without using N. What are the default settings of Report Manager on your instance? Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
Hi Satya, No we dont (or have need to) use nvarchar at all. Which specific setting should I look at? Is this set using "Reporting Services Configuration Manager" or reportign services properties using "SQL server Configuration Manager". The problem occurs even when I preview the report within report designer.
Hello, As things stand, in order to get any performance out from reporting services, I must convert my database columns to nvarchar to avoid the costly tranlation. Has really no one else had this same problem. We have had same problem with Hyperion, c# and now reporting services, and all fixes have been dirty…
]]>