Stupid Question of the Day – Performance Trace? | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Stupid Question of the Day – Performance Trace?

Hi There I realise this is probably a stupid question but it is giving me problems. I am trying to do a baseline for 2 of our productions servers.
I run the performance traces from a remote server (our QA server actually). The performance trace runs fine until i try log the trace to Sql Database instead of comma limited file. I get the following error
==========================================================
The description for Event ID ( 3041 ) in Source ( PDH ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user ‘(null)’. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.
========================================================== I have made sure that the performance alerts and jobs service starts as under the security context of the domain user with sysadmin rights to all sql server databases.
The sql database log option requires a system dns, i have set this is up and successfully tested it under ODBC connections. I am not sure why i get the null user error, no luck in MS Knowledge Base. I am not sure how this is supposed to work either ? I have created a new database specifically for perfmon output which i stipulate in the odbc connection as the default database for the system dns. Where would perfmon create these tables id i did not specify ?
Not sure what to enter under Log_set: option either for log in SqlDatabase? ANyway bottom line is am cannot setup perfmon to log traces directly into sql server? Thanx
Make sure the account you’re using has admin privileges on the SQL Server, granting SYSADMIN privileges is not sufficient. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Hi Satya Which Server Role are you referring to , there is no just admin priveledges?
Security admin, server admin etc ??? I was under the impression the SYSADMIN could do pretty much anything ?
The account is a domain administrator, and falls under the built/Admin, and has doowner permissions in every database. Thanx
Hi Satya what is strange is that the trace works with that login to connect to the remote servers and analyz them.
Only when i try use the same login to connect to the instance of sql server on the same machine do i get the problem ? Really is strange i use this login to administer all sql servers i cannot believe that it has insufficient permissions? Thanx
It seems as though the login onformation is not getting passed from perfmon to the odbc connection used for the system dns ??? I have only seen this error before with linked servers ???
You are using a Windows account to run the performance trace. This account must have admin permissions both within the SQL Server installation, and within the local Windows environment.
I must have stated it clearly, as referred Adriaan the login must be a local adminsitrator on server and part of SYSADMIn group. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Hi Adriaan
Yes the account is local administrator on all sql server windows servers as well. Thanx
Did you ever find the solution to this problem? I am having the same problem.
Within the SQL Server security settings, the login must also be a member of the "System Administrator" server role. By default, all Windows local administrators are members for an instance of SQL Server, but it is a good idea to remove them as a group, and to choose only specific logins.
See thishttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/889615 and relavant references. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information on it.
]]>