System DBs in SAN Configuration | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

System DBs in SAN Configuration

I am the only DBA at my company and we are in the very early processes of restructuring our SQL Server environment for better performance, reliability, availability and growth. One of the things I am doing is working on the first draft of a layout of the servers we need, which databases will be on those servers, and where the files for these databases should reside. I am working on a dream structure now and it will be scaled back as necessary. One thing I have been unsuccessfully trying to find is information about the location of the system database (master, model, and msdb) files in a SAN environment. I realize these databases’ I/O are low so is it better to leave them on the server’s local disks or put them on the SAN? Another thing we are considering is an Active/Passive cluster. How would this affect the location of these databases? I know there is a lot I don’t know right now so some of these questions may seem simplistic but I am trying to get started and learn to do it right. Thanks, hawg
i think these have to be on a shared resource for cluster install.
for non-cluster, it doesn’t really matter.

As the system databases are not large in size so you shouldn’t worry about any performance in any environment.
For more information review Clustering topics and articles in this website. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>