TiVoli moitoring | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

TiVoli moitoring

I had TiVoli monitoring activated on my SQL machine. I am seeing the following TiVoli warning messages during my native SQL backups. What is strange is that my backups normally take 1/2 hour or so. But, when they take longer (50 minutes +) then I see these TiVoli messages: TMW_HighDriveXferRate
TMW_SlowPhysicalDrive
TMW_SlowLogicalDrive
TMW_SlowHardDrive I have a 4 disk 15K RAID 10 142GB per disk configuration with 120GB of free space. Should I be concerned? Is this normal? Does anyone have experience with TiVoli monitoring? Thanks.
As you are aware these are warnings and not a show stopper. Make sure the backups are finished propely and checkout why it takes more than 30 minutes, consider the load on server during this backup times. Also check the Write configuration setup on RAID. Check event viewer for other related errors also. Satya SKJ
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Satya, Thanks. I did a full system check and I could not locate why these warnings show up at the time they do. I just find it strange that no warnings appear unless the backup takes longer than normal. Also, it is weird that the warning shows up at the very end of the backup (last 10 min). Is SQL server doing something specific at the very end of the backups? Does anyone know the internal SQL backup process and what steps are at the very end? Thanks.
IF the backup is taking longer time then I would look at the disk setup and any other processess using the Server resources such as disk defrag or Anti-virus checkup etc. The SQL backup process is nothing but to write the contents to the file and it depends on the hardware configuration. Probably check on Tivoli to supress these alerts to set a higher time to alert in any case. Refer to the vendor. Satya SKJ
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>