Total Server Memory Incorrect in SQL 2005 | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Total Server Memory Incorrect in SQL 2005

Hello, I have SQL Server 2005 Standard box running on Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise with 8gb of ram. I have the /pae & /3b switches set in boot.ini and awe enabled with a min of 2048 mb and max of 6144 mb in SQL Server. I’ve been running performance monitor and show target server memory at 6291456 kb but total server memory at 30976 kb. This has me confused. Also, sqlservr.exe is only using ~59,000 k in task manager. Does this seem correct? I would expect to see the .exe using 2 gb at least. Any advice or input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Scott
Well, after some additional research everything is performing properly. The task manager cannot report AWE memory correctly and total server memory is the amount of memory sql is using..not the total amount it can see. I’m glad no one spent any energy responding to this one.
I would never trust the Task Manager values and always take SYSMON counter values to get more information. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>