transaction lock doesn´t run as i expected | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

transaction lock doesn´t run as i expected

I Tried to run the following script in the Query Analizer in two different opened connetions. In connection 1: USE pubs
SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL READ COMMITTED
BEGIN TRAN
SELECT * FROM ISOLATION_TEST WITH (XLOCK) WHERE col1 = 10
SELECT @@spid, OBJECT_ID(‘ISOLATION_TEST’)
EXEC sp_lock @@spid
–not commiting the transaction in order to run code in connection 2 I Get the next output:
spiddbidObjIdIndIdTypeResourceModeStatus
——————————————————————————-
53500DB SGRANT
5356455773381PAG1:28 IXGRANT
531855753430TAB ISGRANT
5356455773380TAB IXGRANT
5356455773381KEY(0a0087c006b1) XGRANT
In connection 2 I run the script: SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL READ COMMITTED
BEGIN TRAN
SELECT * FROM ISOLATION_TEST WHERE col1 = 10
SELECT @@spid, OBJECT_ID(‘ISOLATION_TEST’)
EXEC sp_lock @@spid
COMMIT TRAN I expected this second script in connection 2 to lock because it tries to lock the same row with a shared lock that it is not compatible with previously granted exclusive lock to connection 1. But it does not lock and produces output: spiddbidObjIdIndIdTypeResourceModeStatus
——————————————————————————-
51500DB SGRANT
511855753430TAB ISGRANT Could somebody explain me why?

I am not very sure if XLOCK behaves this way. Have you tried the same with UPDLOCK? Gaurav
Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard

Hi ya, It definitely locks the second session on my SQL2K server… until I issue a commit in the first what connection properties have you set in Query Analyzer? Cheers
Twan
quote:Originally posted by Twan Hi ya, It definitely locks the second session on my SQL2K server… until I issue a commit in the first what connection properties have you set in Query Analyzer? Cheers
Twan

Hi Twan, This morning we tried with table authors in DB pubs and locks second session, we then try to do it with table ISOLATION_TEST (we created in DB pubs) but converting clustered index on primary key to nonclustered. And then ok it works properly ?????!!!!
Sounds very suspicious to me… I’d consider escalating this up to MS support… Cheers
Twan
I find a link that explains all:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324417&Product=sql Thanks.
]]>