transaction log problems | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

transaction log problems

Hi everyone
I have a big transaction log took over all the disk space, I know I can backup the log to free the space but my backup drive is on the same drive. Is there any other way to clean the Transaction log without backing up? Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you allready srink log and still took all disk, without backup, there is one way and risk.
If you are using SQL2k, in database properties you will find recovery Full.
Change from full to simple, and srink again.
After srink change to Full again.
This way, log will reduce the space.
But, in few days you will have same condicition obout log.
The razonable way in backup to other drive or tape and srink log. Luis Martin …Thus mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true.
Bertrand Russell

If you are not interested in EVER backing up the log, then set the recovery model to simple. This will ensure that the log does not hold on to all the transactions since the last database/log backup Cheers
Twan
With the Simple Recovery model, the database can be recovered to the point of the last backup. However, you cannot restore the database to the point of failure or to a specific point in time. So ensure to maintain regular DB backups to recover in case of failure. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
You have received some good suggestions – I would also look into moving database backup files off the drive asap. Having database and its backup on the same drive =>single point of failure.
Simeon
Even though if you keep the database in SIMPLE recovery model and left the database growth settings to unlimited, there is a chance of re-occurance of the low space issue. As suggested by Simeon you should consider add-up more disk space or define another local drive for the backups atleast. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>