two instances of sqlservr.exe in task manager | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

two instances of sqlservr.exe in task manager

There are two instances of sqlservr.exe in task manager and I don’t know why. There is only one instance installed on the server that I can see. Any ideas? Thanks Dan Reber
Do you also see two instances of the sqlservr services? If there is more than one, one will be named by its named instance name. —————————–
Brad M. McGehee, MVP
Webmaster
SQL-Server-Performance.Com
A second instance was installed before and then removed? Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
I see "MSSQL$BKUPEXEC" as a service but nothing else. Could that be it?
Thanks Dan

quote:Originally posted by LuisMartin A second instance was installed before and then removed?

No, a second instance was not installed and then removed. Also, this is only happening at 2 out of 15 clients. Thanks Dan
The other client has a service named "MSSQL$DTC" Dan
The other instances you are seeing Dan are probably MSDE instances that other application install and use on the servers. BKUPEXEC for example is installed on a server when you install the Veritas BackupExec software. MeanOldDBA
[email protected] When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
That makes sense. Would you have any idea what "MSSQL$DTC" would be? Thanks Dan Reber

When you start an instance of SQL Server, you are starting the SQL Server service. After you start the SQL Server service, users can establish new connections to the server. The SQL Server service can be started and stopped as a Microsoft Windows NT® 4.0 or Windows® 2000 service, either locally or remotely. The SQL Server service is referred to as MSSQLServer if it is the default instance, or MSSQL$instancename if it is a named instance. Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS DTC) Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
OK, thanks. Daniel Reber
Datamasters, Inc
]]>