unable to change trans. log location in SQL MS | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

unable to change trans. log location in SQL MS

Hi all, I am having a strange problem with my SQL Server 2005. I am running SQL 2005 Server Enterprise in a Active/Passive Cluster on Vmware GSX Server. I have 3 virtual disks, Q (quorum), S (SQL Server data) T (transaction logs) I see all disks in the cluster. I see them within Windows Explorer. I can also access the disk in SQL Management Studio with File -> Open. However, when I create a new database and want to change the location of the Transaction Logs, the SQL Management Studio only display directory structure of "S:" drive. There is no way to change to the drive T: Anyone experienced this problem? I would appreciate your advise. Thanks.
Try to create using tsql…you should get the error… if the drive is not configured for sql dependency in cluster you should get the error.. Open cluster administrator/click virtual server name/on the right pane right click on sql service/properties/there you may need to add the disk to sql group… You can’t add the disk while sql service is online….You have take the sql offline then configure and bring the service back online…
MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

Thanks, that method worked. I added Drive T to the SQL Server like you said and was able to see it when I was creating a database I was able to select the log file to T: However upon pressing OK I got the following error. Create failed for Database "test" (Microsoft.SQLserver.smo) Additional Information:
->An exception occured while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch.
(Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)
->File Activation error occured. The physical file name T:test_log.ldf may be incorrect
Diagnose and correct additional errors and retry the operation.
CREATE DATABASE failed. Some filenames could not be created. Check related errors.
Microsoft SQL Server: Error 5105 Any ideas why is this happening?
Is T: drive formatted before? if not format the t: drive and check it out…
MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

Change T:test_log.ldf to T: est_log.ldf
]]>