unable to connect a sql server on internet | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

unable to connect a sql server on internet

hi
i am unable to connect a server on my local machine i have sql 2000 standard and i have the ip address but its saying server doesnt exist
how to rectify it?
make sure you both support a common netlib (such as TCP/IP). Check this from Client Network Config on your start menu. Also make sure the administrator knows youre trying to connect across the internet, and has opened any firewall rules which may have been applied.
If you still have no luck, are you able to ping the server ?
yes i am able to ping the server and i am able to connect it through terminal client also
and it also have tcp/ip enabled and i have adm rights on that remote server
but the message showing is server doesnt exists or accress denied
How r u trying 2 connect to the SQL Server thru SQL server name or IP. If ur trying to connect thru name then try connecting thru IP address. If this does not work out try testing a ODBC Connectivity from ur local machine. It will give u some clu.. MNK.
Are you trying to login using SQL Server to Windows Security? You will need to use SQL Server security. Also, have you checked your firewall, if you have one?
——————
Brad M. McGehee
Webmaster
SQL-Server-Performance.Com
Basically you have to open up the ports that SQL Server uses. If you’ve done this and it still doesn’t work then look at the firewall logs (if you have) to see what packets it is dropping or do a network trace either side of the firewall to see what packets are not getting through. (You may want to disable/allow all through the firewall during testing to see what extra packets are allowed through). Which ports to open depends on the net-lib you are using for tcp-ip sockets the default port for SQL Server is 1433. HTH Satya SKJ

]]>