updatable queries fail | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

updatable queries fail

hello, my name is Tyler and i work for a .com company as a programmer. **********************
i posted this in another forum topic … i’m reposting here
********************** i’m not too knowledgable about SQL server but i believe my problem is more unique than you may assume. about once a month before … we had a problem on our live website … it kept going down. i think it was a script time-out issue on SQL’s part. this problem is happening about twice a week now … we get dozens of hits a minute so i can provide you with some useful information. any hit to our website which results in a Select statement to SQL server 2000, it works … update, insert all fail with a timeout. we can set the ASP script to timeout after 10 minutes and even the most simple updatable query will timeout after 10 minutes. this is horrible … sometimes restarting IIS 5 or SQL server processes will work … but most of the time we have to reboot. this is a very big problem, could anyone help?
But Tayler you have to post your query!!!!!! Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com Although nature commences with reason and ends in experience it is necessary for us to do the opposite, that is to commence with experience and from this to proceed to investigate the reason.
Leonardo Da Vinci Nunca esperes el reconocimiento de tus hijos, eso ocurrirá luego de tu muerte
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
there are roughly 10,000 different select queries on my website. 10,000 update or insert queries. all select queries work … all updatable queries fail … only rebooting fixes it … for a few days.
Ok. To members who will post here please read :
http://www.sql-server-performance.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12157 Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com Although nature commences with reason and ends in experience it is necessary for us to do the opposite, that is to commence with experience and from this to proceed to investigate the reason.
Leonardo Da Vinci Nunca esperes el reconocimiento de tus hijos, eso ocurrirá luego de tu muerte
sorry, i should have posted that
By Mmarovic: What are data and log file sizes? Maybe your problem comes from data or log file extnesion. However I would expect select statetments to fail too. It could also be an locking problem. Luis Martin
database is 1.1GB log is 2.74GB
See if this helps
http://vyaskn.tripod.com/watch_your_timeouts.htm Madhivanan Failing to plan is Planning to fail
To prevent file growth as the possible reason I would add another 1 GB file in a primary filegroup. The same with the log file. What is your db recovery model. If recovery model is full, make sure you have regular full db backups and frequent enough transaction log backups. On top of that try to idenitify long running queries, they may put a lot of share locks preventing updates to complete.
]]>