Upgrade 7 to 2000 and ODBC "Unknown Token" Error | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Upgrade 7 to 2000 and ODBC "Unknown Token" Error

We were SQL 7.0SP2, Mdac 2.5RTM, ODBC version 3.70.09.61.
Upgraded to SQL2KSP2, MDAC2.6SP2, ODBC version 2000.80.746.00 + SecurityFix As stated in Microsoft instructions…we did a sp_updatestats in QA and it worked on a smaller database(2Gig) and only did 20% of the big 90Gig DB before we got the following error: …..
…..
Updating PROD.F01151Z1
Updating PROD.F4343
Updating PROD.F4572Z1
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Unknown token received from SQL Server We are on Win2K Advance Server SP2. Do errors reported in Windows or SQL. Any ideas?? Thanks,
Faisal

Check this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;246031 It is closer to your problem, but may be help. Luis Martin …Thus mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true.
Bertrand Russell
From where are you using QA. On the server itself or on a remote workstation? If it’s on the server re-apply the service pack to update the odbc drivers again. If it’s on a remote workstation then check the QA and odbc driver version on it. Apply service pack there as well if needed. /Argyle
Luis Martin– I looked at the article and it looks like it effects SQL7.0 and the solution is to reaply SP2 on SQL7.0 We are on SQL2K SP2 now but I will assume that we should reapply SP2 on SQL2K again abd see what happens… Argyle– I used QA on the server. I also tried QA from another server with the same MDAC level with the same results. I did not try it from a client/PC yet. As suggested I think it’s good to reapply the service pack 2 again…Do I have to reapply the MDAC2.6SP2 or SecurityPatches again as well?? Thanks,
Faisal
Mdac 2.6 SP2 will be installed with SQL 2000 SP2 so you don’t need to apply it. The security fixes you need to apply again. Why not go for SQL 2000 SP3 while you are at it? Mdac would be upgraded to 2.7 SP1 though. /Argyle
If you tried to apply SP4 for Win2K then make sure to check the MDAC version, as there are some mismatches during this operation.
As suggested try to apply SP3 to fix the issues. _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

Argyle & Satya, Would love to go to SQL SP3/SP3a but we are on an older service pack of an ERP system that will not support SQL SP3 until we upgrade the SP on the ERP package first (and we are not ready for that…it required retrofitting code…). So I was hoping to upgrade to SQL2K SP2 first… I have opened a call with Microsoft and they have not heard of this either. I ran some traces(Profiler) for them in the meantime as we fight this battle…. Thanks for you input. Will try to keep you guys posted…
Have you observed any SQL dump from SQL error log while this error occured. _________
Satya SKJ

Satya– Do you mean do I see any Errors in the SQL error log?? No errors in either SQL or OS logs. Update: Microsoft has asked for more information….
Yes, run SQLDIAG utility which gives all the information required by them. _________
Satya SKJ

Just a thought, have you seen any issues/errors while upgrade from 7 to 2000 on SQL Server. _________
Satya SKJ

]]>