Upgrade Database | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Upgrade Database

Hi Folks I need to upgrade the one database from another database within same SQL SERVER GROUP.
what strategy or points I should follow… Thanx in advance
sonny
What do you mean by upgrade.
is it data or objects
Obviously,
You need to take a back ups
Before the upgrade if it a large scale think about phases
For each phases define and identify the task
After the updation recheck again
quote:Originally posted by sonnysingh Hi Folks I need to upgrade the one database from another database within same SQL SERVER GROUP.
what strategy or points I should follow… Thanx in advance
sonny

if u need to just update tables u can use DTS with delete rows from destination option.
or else if u just want table schemas u can go for scripting.
else
as Dinesh said above if u want the whole database to be updated then take the backup and restore option.
If you want to upgrage and compare two database, there is a recommanded tool from red-gate for this http://www.red-gate.com/SQL_Compare.htm this can allow you to migrate SQL objects from one db to another. Yes, have a complete database first before doing actual upgrade. Deepak Kumar –An eye for an eye and everyone shall be blind
Thanx folks for reply.. really aprreciate it.. Here is some detail about it.. I want to upgrade full database.. just like replication of it.. but it is not replication. The only thing is bothering is that there is data in upgraded database.
1. I need to know which tables have data and export them into data txt files in order to load them back into same table..(kind of script to do this)…
2. check the structure of database before upgrade..
3. backup the upgraded database as structural point of view, so if i wnat to see thew structure of database then i can refer to it in the case of anything go wrong.
4. after upgrade the database i want to confir that upgrade was correct and we have not loose any thing structural point of view.. any document which refer to steps should keep in mind doing this kindof activity.. Thanx again guys
sonny
take help ofhttp://www.red-gate.com/SQL_Compare.htm tool this will compare both database and can give you report.. analyze report for changes in table structure and it can also export records too. Deepak Kumar –An eye for an eye and everyone shall be blind
There is a free tool
http://www.dbmaestro.com/products/d…al.com/columnists/dasanka/reviewdbmaestro.asp
quote:Originally posted by sonnysingh Thanx folks for reply.. really aprreciate it.. Here is some detail about it.. I want to upgrade full database.. just like replication of it.. but it is not replication. The only thing is bothering is that there is data in upgraded database.
1. I need to know which tables have data and export them into data txt files in order to load them back into same table..(kind of script to do this)…
2. check the structure of database before upgrade..
3. backup the upgraded database as structural point of view, so if i wnat to see thew structure of database then i can refer to it in the case of anything go wrong.
4. after upgrade the database i want to confir that upgrade was correct and we have not loose any thing structural point of view.. any document which refer to steps should keep in mind doing this kindof activity.. Thanx again guys
sonny

]]>