Use of schemas | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Use of schemas

Was wanting some input on the use of schemas for applications. Basically, I have a database with all of the tables used in our data warehouse. There are a couple very small Access applications that use one or two queries to produce labels for printing. The procedures query a couple of the table in the database. To allow for easy security maintenance, an AD group has been setup. I have created a schema for these applications. I give the AD group execute permission on the schema through a role. The procecures are then created in the schema using WITH EXECUTE AS ‘dbo’ to allow querying against tables outside the schema. Is this a good use of schemas?
In SQL Server 2005, schema can be owned not only by a single user but also database roles or Windows groups. This allows for shared ownership of objects or the creation of application-specific schemas, which simplifies their development and maintenance, since you can refer to their objects using consistent schema names. So I think you have used schma correctly
—————————————-
quote:Originally posted by dineshasanka In SQL Server 2005, schema can be owned not only by a single user but also database roles or Windows groups. This allows for shared ownership of objects or the creation of application-specific schemas, which simplifies their development and maintenance, since you can refer to their objects using consistent schema names. So I think you have used schma correctly
—————————————-
I Agree. Dan
]]>