Users' Connections Dropped | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Users’ Connections Dropped

Hello, I have a client with a SQL Server database that is hosted by their web host. They also have an Access front end which they use in their office which connects to the SQL Server database over a VPN. This generally works fine, but once every 3 weeks or so they get kicked off the database with Connection Read Recv errors, and then have great difficulty reconnecting. The only sure way to resolve the problem seems to be for the the SQL Server to be restarted, which the hosts are not keen on. Other users (from different sites) and web applications seem to be unaffected. Has anyone any ideas what might cause this problem to happen, or how I might go about investigating the cause. (The front end was in Access 97 using ODBCDirect, but has recently been upgraded to Access 2003 using OLEDB/ADO, but it has had no benefit). Many thanks for any help Nick
What kind of authentication sql server has?
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
quote:Originally posted by njwatts
… connects to the SQL Server database over a VPN. … Other users (from different sites) and web applications seem to be unaffected.
If other users are not affected it’s client or network related. I would look into the VPN connection to see if it goes down now and then. If the VPN goes over the public internet there is no garuantee that the connection will work all the time.
SQL server will not disconnect the connection until the client API is requested or any issues on the network. In this case connection pooling comes as an advantage to avoid such issues. It could be something in your scripts that can be fixed, or it could be some configuration settings on the database itself. It is one of the best practice to disconnect the connection once the transaction is finished the proces.s Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>