'Via group membership' vs. 'Permit' | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

‘Via group membership’ vs. ‘Permit’

So far I have seen three different values in Status Access column in Logins section in Enterprise Manager. They are:
– Permit
– Deny
– Via group membership The first two are obvious, but can anyone explain me what the third one means?
Is there any difference between ‘Permit’ (1) and ‘Via group membership’ (2)? (1) a Windows user account added as a login -> login added to the sysadmin role
(2) a Windows group added to the sysadmin role

Via group membership is – when a Windows user is allowed to login to SQL Server based on the user’s Windows group, rather than user’s Windows account, is listed in the sysxlogins master database table. Obviously Permit means the user can access the server. Deny means the user can’t access the server.
So the third is dependant on the 1 & 2 actions. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
quote:Originally posted by satya Via group membership is – when a Windows user is allowed to login to SQL Server based on the user’s Windows group, rather than user’s Windows account, is listed in the sysxlogins master database table.
And can you explain why the column Server Access says ‘Permit’ (not ‘Via group membership’), when I add a Windows group as a new login in Secutity / Logins? PS. I know I am being picky, but that’s just the kind of guy I am, so please try to stay calm.

]]>