W2K3 EE & SQL2005 & 4 Nodes – default instances? | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

W2K3 EE & SQL2005 & 4 Nodes – default instances?

Hi, Our client has a W2K3 4-node SQL Server 2005 cluster using 4 physical machines. i.e. 3 Active and a passive/hot-spare. MS CRM 3.0#%92s database is to be installed on one of them. CRM’s documentation makes it clear that CRM must be installed on the default instance of a SQL Server. A named instance can not be used. In our clients 4 nodes there is already a database being handled by the default instance and this consumes 75% of the resources of the physical server on which it runs. Thus CRM 3.0 would cause load problems if installed on the same default instance and physical machine. My question is: Can the CRM 3.0 database be installed on the default instance of a virtual SQL server? I.e. I#%92m assuming the SQL Server documentation considers a clustered resource running SQL Server is called a virtual SQL server. This makes the further assumption that each ‘virtual SQL server’ can run up to 16 instances. I’m pretty sure this wasn’t possible with clustering with W2K/SQL2K but I never actually tried it. I’m hoping it things are just a bit better with W2K3 and SQL2K5 (I’m ever the optimist). My understanding is that in a clustered SQL server environment, each SQL Server instance becomes a ‘clustered resource#%92 (i.e. a virtual SQL Server) with its own server names and IP address. Thus the ‘default instance#%92 will operate on port 1433 of the IP address associated with the ‘clustered resource#%92. If my understanding is correct then CRM 3.0 will be able to run in clustered environment where they are multiple default instances but each is within a virtual SQL server. In the event this will not work, a) Does anyone know whther this is likely to be just an install issue and CRM can be moved to a named instance after installation? b) Is there a work around to address ‘default instance’ limitations in Apps like CRM when run in a W2K2 multi-noded clustered SQL environment? Thanks in Advance,
]]>