When is it a good idea to use a 'new' DB? | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

When is it a good idea to use a ‘new’ DB?

I have a quick question and as always appreciate the feedback. I have an app developer that wants me to create a DB called users. It will contain 4-5 tables regarding user information that this app(And potentially other apps) will use. My question is this: If I have another DB that contains employee information, I could place the tables it in this DB instead? Is the maintenance on an additional DB (albeit it small and infrequently updated) worth having that information seperate? What are y’alls thought? Thanks!
If your db structure is not complex and your data are not huge it is simpler (from maintenance point of view) to have them in one db. You can see benefit in the future if need appears to relate data from two groups. You can have requirement to store contact data containing info about both employee (CSR) and user for example.
That is what I am leaning toward. It just doesn’t seem beneficial to break it out into its own DB. Especially since we are dealing with less that 2000 rows for the maintable; the other 3-4 are just lookup tables with less than 100 rows each.
quote:That is what I am leaning toward. It just doesn’t seem beneficial to break it out into its own DB. Especially since we are dealing with less that 2000 rows for the maintable; the other 3-4 are just lookup tables with less than 100 rows each.

My company actually have data split to 7 dbs, but we have huge and complex data and dbs are on different servers. But this is completly different story.
Well all oppinions are valid. Like mm said depends on each case.
About you case, I’ll use one database. Easy to mantein.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
What is the size of database you’re looking at, if its a few Gigs then no issues in handling and managing the information in one database. If the data is only going to be used for query purpose then you can use a STAGING database for queries and use this online database for live operations on performance basis. We’ve no issues in handling ONLINE 24/7 operational database which is 25GB of size. HTH Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>