Where keep data files? | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Where keep data files?

SQL-Server by default installs its data and log files under Program Files folder like:
E:program FilesMicrosoft SQL ServerMSSQLData I usually keep my data files under E:MSSQLData and log files on another drive like F:MSSQLLog. My client’s standard is to use MS-SQL default folder for data files and another harddisk for log files. I am asking about this part: "putting data file under Program Files". Is it good idea? What is your strategy (or suggestion) and why? How about SQL system databases? Do you keep them in same place as your application DBs? Thanks, CanadaDBA
I like to keep my database files in (for example) E:sqldata<dbname>dbname.mdf etc and my logs in (e.g.) F:sqllog<dbname>dbname_log.ldf and my system data in E:sqldatasystem
or on another drive, mirrored, hopefully. I keep all my binaries etc on a separate partition, e.g. D:appsservermssql Tom Pullen
DBA, Oxfam GB
There is no hard-code strategy to keep the data files, the reason being seperate directory to represent the whole directory for SQL server related files. As you can have many other application program files in Program Files directory, for the ease of maintenance and performance, its suggested to keep the data files in E: and log on F: drive. The system databases will not have much updations so its better to leave them in D: drive alongwith binaries. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Hey Tom,
I couldn’t undrestand what you mean with your last sentence. Would you explain what do you keep on D: drive?
quote:Originally posted by thomas

I keep all my binaries etc on a separate partition, e.g. D:appsservermssql Tom Pullen
DBA, Oxfam GB

CanadaDBA
binaries? What are they? So, it is suggested that don’t keep files under Program File folder.
quote:Originally posted by satya There is no hard-code strategy to keep the data files, the reason being seperate directory to represent the whole directory for SQL server related files. As you can have many other application program files in Program Files directory, for the ease of maintenance and performance, its suggested to keep the data files in E: and log on F: drive. The system databases will not have much updations so its better to leave them in D: drive alongwith binaries. Satya SKJ
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.

CanadaDBA
binaries, i.e. programme files – inn folder, etc. Tom Pullen
DBA, Oxfam GB
Is it important that we keep the files in Binn in another drive? Does it affect performance? I thought the default directory is ok.
quote:Originally posted by thomas binaries, i.e. programme files – inn folder, etc. Tom Pullen
DBA, Oxfam GB

CanadaDBA
Binaries are meant to be the program files of SQL server, and there is no performance problem in keeping them in seperate drive and for ease of maintenance keep in specific directory than usual Program files. Satya SKJ
]]>